You’ve been promising to make meetings at your small business more efficient. Let the New Year be your opportunity to make good on that promise.
What was once a quick, effective way to bring colleagues together and share ideas has slowly devolved into a never-ending stream of daily occurrences about various topics, draining your time and possibly decreasing morale.
Here are some key ways to ensure meetings at your place of business are using everyone’s time optimally – and with positive results.
- Circulate an agenda in advance. Make sure all participants are tuned in to what will be discussed and what is expected of them. Also, send pre-meeting reading. Allow at least two business days for review of pertinent material. Sending over massive amounts of financial data? Allow even more time for people to prepare.
- Be conscious of others’ time. There never seems to be enough time. Capitalize on every second by starting promptly and ending when promised. Waiting five minutes for stragglers can throw off the agenda, involve repeating information, and dilute the importance of using time efficiently.
- Consider shorter meetings. Figure out what is essential for this particular gathering and stick to the key points. You lose people’s attention after about 45 minutes, so try to keep it to one hour max. Also consider the time of day when you will get the most out of your attendees.
- Examine the attendee list. Does everyone need to attend your meeting? Consider inviting key personnel and encourage them to share information with their team.
- Document your results. The meeting organizer should also take notes, documenting what was accomplished and what needs follow-up. Send meeting minutes within a day, if possible, to all participates.
Welcome 2016 with more effective meetings and your colleagues will thank you for starting the year off on the right foot.
Any time we meet with you is the right time. Contact Biz2Credit at any time, and our friendly representative will get you know your name and needs better. Call (800) 200-5678, or visit www.biz2credit.com.