Definitive Guide to Main Street Lending Program
June 8, 2020 | Last Updated on: July 22, 2022
June 8, 2020 | Last Updated on: July 22, 2022
As of May 28, 2021, the Paycheck Protection Program has run out of funding. You can learn more about the PPP with our COVID-19 resource hub.
Since mid-March, COVID-19 has caused serious economic hardship for businesses across the country. While some businesses have been able to operate at a diminished capacity, many were forced to cease operations altogether. And even as stay-at-home orders are lifted and the economy is starting to re-open, it’s not business as usual—and many companies are dealing with continuing financial hardships.
The Main Street Lending Program is the latest lending initiative aimed at helping businesses navigate the economic uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic. But what is the Main Street Lending Program? What are the eligibility requirements and loan terms? And how can businesses apply for a loan through the Main Street Lending Program and get the funding they need to keep moving forward?
Launched as a result of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (more commonly referred to as the CARES Act), the Main Street Lending Program (MSLP) is a coronavirus aid lending initiative that will oversee $600 billion in loans for eligible small and medium-sized businesses, split between three different credit facilities—the Main Street New Loan Facility (MSNLF) and the Main Street Priority Loan Facility (MSPLF), which issue new loans, and the Main Street Expanded Loan Facility (MSELF), which increases existing loans. Depending on the credit facility, eligible businesses can apply for loans ranging from $500,000 to $25 million.
Unlike the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) or the Economic Injury Disaster Relief Program (EIDL)—which are both overseen by the Small Business Administration (SBA) and tailored for small businesses—the MSLP was established by the Federal Reserve Board as a lending option for larger companies. The MSLP is also an option for small businesses that don’t meet the payroll requirements for PPP loans and/or need financial support to cover business expenses other than payroll costs. (Just keep in mind that, unlike PPP loans, Main Street loans are not forgivable).
Under the MSLP, the Federal Reserve has set up a special purpose vehicle (SPV) that will purchase participations in loans made by eligible lenders. The SPV will purchase 95 percent of participations in eligible loans, with lenders retaining the other 5 percent. To date, the SPV is authorized to purchase loan participations until September 30, 2020.
In order to qualify for the Main Street Lending Program loan, businesses must meet the following criteria:
It’s important to note that businesses are only eligible for one loan through the Main Street Program; so, for example, if you apply and are approved for a loan through the MSPLF, you’re not also eligible for a loan through the MSELF. It’s also important to note that accepting a Main Street Loan also makes your business ineligible to participate in the Primary Market Corporate Credit Facility—but if you have received a loan through the Paycheck Protection Program, it does not affect your eligibility for a loan under the MSLP.
All loans issued under the MSLP have a four-year maturity, an adjustable interest rate of LIBOR (one or three month) plus 3 percent, principal and interest payment deferral for one year, and offer prepayment without penalty. Additional loan terms differ based on the issuing credit facility and are as follows:
MSLP loans are distributed through a network of eligible lenders and lending facilities, including U.S. insured depository institutions (including banks, credit unions, and other financial institutions), U.S. bank holding companies, U.S. branches or agencies of a foreign bank, and U.S. savings and loan holding companies. Once the Main Street Lending Program is fully operational (which is expected to be sometime in early June), businesses can apply for an MSLP loan directly through a qualified lender.
Individual lenders will be responsible for evaluating a business’ financial condition, creditworthiness, and whether it meets the minimum conditions outlined in the Program’s term sheet. For additional information on the application process, get in touch with your lender.
While the information featured in this article is the most up-to-date at the time of writing, the Main Street Lending Program has yet to officially launch—and, as such, details may change leading up to the official launch date.
For the most up-additional information on the Main Street Lending Program, be sure to visit the Federal Reserve website and download the MSLP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
December 5, 2022
December 1, 2022
November 30, 2022